"So let’s become best friends that don’t get ashamed of each other but cherish and have plenty of care for each other." —Taeyeon
Kim Taeyeon (born March 9, 1989), commonly known by her first name, Taeyeon, is a South Korean singer and dancer. She is a member of the groups, Girls' Generation and S.M the Ballad, the supergroup, Girls On Top and part of Girls' Generation's sub-units, Oh!GG and TaeTiSeo. Taeyeon made her solo singing debut on M Countdown, with the song "I", and also released an EP of the same name. She is a popular and highly regarded singer in her home country of South Korea.
Kim Taeyeon was born and raised in Jeonju, North Jeolla, South Korea. Her parents' names are Kim Jong-gu and Kim Hee-ja. She two siblings, an older brother by one year, Kim Ji-woong and a sister, nine years younger than her, Kim Hayeon, who also works as a singer.
Taeyeon practiced singing throughout her childhood, before considering it as her only talent when she was thirteen years old, this encouraged her to pursue a singing career.
Taeyeon was discovered at the 2004 S.M. Entertainment's 8th Annual Best Contest winning Best Singer, 1st Place, and Grand Award in the contest. After her win, Taeyeon travelled from Jeonju to Seoul, every Sunday to attend S.M Academy, where she trained for three years, learning dancing and having singing lessons, with singer, The One.
In 2004, she was featured in The One's song "You Bring Me Joy"before debuting as Girls' Generation's leader. She is a 2008 graduate of Jeonju Art High School and was decorated with the school's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Taeyeon was chosen as Girls' Generation's leader, as she was the oldest member of the group and their main vocalist due to her strong vocal abilities. The group debuted on August 5, 2007 and are renowned, gaining immense fame and success in their native Korea and across the world. Outside of the group, Taeyeon has collaborated with a range of singers in K-pop and has done many solo songs for OSTS, earning the nickname, OST Queen. In 2012, Taeyeon became a member of Girls' Generation's first sub-unit, TaeTiSeo with fellow GG members, Tiffany and Seohyun, given the role of a main vocalist in the sub-unit. Taeyeon is also a member of S.M. The Ballad, with several other singers under S.M. Entertainment. Taeyeon made her solo singing debut in October 2015 with the track "I" featuring Verbal Jint and released her first solo EP, I.
On February 3, 2016 Taeyeon and S.M. released her second promoted single, Rain.
On June 28, 2016 Taeyeon and S.M. released her second mini-album, "Why" after releasing two singles from the album, "Starlight (feat. DEAN)" and "Why". Taeyeon revealed that fellow Girls Generation member, Hyoyeon, would be featured on a track on the album named "Up & Down".
On November 1, 2016, her fifth single, "11:11" was released.
On February 17, 2017 Taeyeon and S.M. released a music video for the song, "I Got Love", a track from her upcoming album and on February 20, 2017 S.M. Entertainment revealed that Taeyeon would release her new album titled My Voice, on February 28, 2016. The album included songs of various genres such as pop ballad, pop R&B and PBR&B.
In June 2018, Taeyeon released her third mini-album Something New.
On June 30, 2018, "Stay", Taeyeon's first Japanese digital single was released.
In August 2018, S.M. Entertainment announced a new subgroup of Girls' Generation named Oh!GG, which is composed of five members: Sunny, Taeyeon, Yoona, Yuri and Hyoyeon. They debuted on September 5, 2018 with the single, "Lil' Touch".
It was announced that Taeyeon would be releasing a new digital single album named Four Seasons on March 17, 2019. Teasers for the music video were released from March 18th to March 21st. On March 22, 2019, Taeyeon and S.M. Entertainment released the music video for "Four Seasons" as the promotional single and "Blue" as the b-side.
In April 2019, Taeyeon began her first Japanese concert tour, Signal, which started on April 13 in Fukuoka. "Voice", her first Japanese-language EP, was released on May 13th.
"Purpose", Taeyeon's second studio album, was released on October 28, 2019. The album reached number two on the Gaon Digital Chart in South Korea, and the single "Spark" reached number two there as well. On January 15, 2020, the album was reissued with three bonus tracks, including the single "Dear Me."
Taeyeon was set to release the digital single "Happy" on March 9, 2020, in gratitude of her birthday. Due to her father's death the same day and her grandmother's death more than a month later, the release was postponed. On May 4, 2020, it was released.
Taeyeon released her second Japanese-language EP "#GirlsSpkOut" on November 18, 2020.
On December 15, 2020, Taeyeon released her fourth Korean-language EP "What Do I Call You".
Taeyeon was featured in Taemin's song "If I Could Tell You," which was released as part of "Advice", on May 18, 2021.
On July 6, 2021, Taeyeon released her new digital single "Weekend".
On December 27, 2021, S.M. Entertainment announced a project girl group would be formed made up of a few of their female artists. This group, called Girls On Top was revealed to have different units, with the first debuting unit called GOT the beat. This unit consisted of BoA, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon of Girls' Generation, Seulgi and Wendy of Red Velvet, and Karina and Winter of aespa. GOT the beat made its official debut on January 1, 2022.
On February 14, 2022, Taeyeon released her 3rd album, INVU. The album has 13 songs with the title track being "INVU".
On May 17, 2022, S.M. Entertainment announced a comeback by SNSD with all 8 members for their 15th anniversary.
Variety Shows and Acting
Taeyeon has appeared on variety shows such as We Got Married, alongside virtual husband Jeong-Hyeong Don, Win Win! and Show Music Core. She has also appeared in reality television shows such as My Brilliant Life and S.M. Town The Stage. Taeyeon did voice acting for Margo in the Despicable Me movie, alongside Seohyun who also voiced a character in the movie.
Taeyeon was a main cast member on the JTBC reality show Begin Again in 2019 and busked in Berlin and Amsterdam, which aired in July 2019.
Since debut, Taeyeon has promoted for many brands, a few are GTAE Fashion, Banila Co, B-ing and Lotte's Buon Gelato line alongside Taeyeon and Tiffany.
Taeyeon resides in South Korea, she lives with her pet dog named Zero. She has been in a relationship with Byun Baekhyun of the popular boy group, EXO. They dated from 2014 until 2015 when an article stated they had parted ways although SM never confirmed anything or released a statement.
- Taeyeon's nicknames are Umma, Ajumma, Kid Leader, Taetae, Baby Taengoo,Taeng9, Dorky Kid, ByunTaeyeon and Jumma Taeng.
- Her Greek zodiac sign is Pisces. Her Chinese zodiac sign is Snake.
- She loves IU songs
- Her blood type is A.
- She is the oldest in the group.
- She is ethnic Korean.
- Her natural hair colour is black and natural eye color is dark brown.
- Her height is 157 cm and weight is 45 kg.
- Her voice type is a Light Lyric Soprano. Her vocal range is D3 to C6, which is four octaves and five notes.
- Taeyeon has been praised for expressing emotions well when singing, Composer Yoo Youngseok expressed his feeling about Taeyeon’s voice saying “Taeyeon feels like a woman who has been divorced 7 times”. Taeyeon's late labelmate Jonghyun agreed with this opinion.
- Taeyeon can speak fluent Korean, as well as basic English, Chinese and Japanese.
- Her hobbies are drawing and watching films.
- She prefers to stay at home, rather than go out. But in Girls For Rest, she had changed to someone that would like to get out and about for a bit after staying at home for a long time, but return home within the day, much unlike Sunny.
- Her interests are Makeup, Perfume and Music.
- Her motto is "Don't do something that you'll regret later".
- In Korean, 'Taeyeon' means 'calm'.
- One of Taeyeon's dreams when she was younger was to become a Maths teacher.
- Taeyeon's ideal type: “Wouldn’t the most basic factor be the guy’s pretty smile? To make their smile shine, it would be nice to have a guy with a clear white skin and red lips. I wish their style would look natural no matter the location or time.”
- In December 2009, Taeyeon stepped down from being Girls Generation's leader, but eventually took up this role again.
- For a period of time, being Girls Generation's Leader put great stress on Taeyeon, so much so that she had episodes of doing activities in her sleep. Her fellow Girls Generation members became concerned with her mental health. Thankfully, she has long recovered from this period in her life.
- Her music talent comes from her parents. Her dad was a vocalist in a band and her mom had won children’s song competitions when she was young.
- Taeyeon's inspiration to become a singer was BoA.
- Taeyeon is short-sighted and wears contact lenses due to her poor eyesight.
- Her father owned an optometry clinic.
- He passed away in 2020 on Taeyeon's birthday due to a heart attack. Her solo comeback was delayed and her birthdy VLive was cancelled.
- She loves to eat Gummy Bears.
- She loves purple flowers.
- She is said to very scary when angry.
- Her weakness is her bad memory.
- She is the second best cook in Girls Generation, after Hyoyeon.
- Once, when Taeyeon's phone was lost, it was found in the refrigerator.
- Taeyeon used to play the violin.
- She dislikes long haired men.
- She enjoys watching Horror movies and isn't scared easily.
- Taeyeon rarely does Aegyo, because she hates it.
- She found it difficult to be cute in Gee.
- Her little sister Hayeon debuted as a soloist on October 7th, 2020 with the single Eyes on you. Taeyeon showed support for her sister by promoting the song on her Instagram story.
- She uses a purple iPhone 11Pro and didn't switch to iPhone12 Pro because it isn't purple.
- She is an Apple loyalist.
- She dated Byun Baekhyun of EXO, hence the ship Baekyeon.
- Like A Star (Feat. The One) (2010)
- Rain (2016)
- 11:11 (2016)
- Page 0 (with MeloMance) (2018)
- Four Seasons (2019)
- Happy (2020)
- Weekend (2021)
- Can't Control Myself (2022)
- Colorful (2014)
- Jeju Samdasoo CF (with Kyuhyun of Super Junior) (2016)
- Sword and Magic (2016)
|2008||Hong Gil Dong OST||"If (만약에)"||Solo|
|Beethoven Virus OST||"Can You Hear Me (들리나요)"|
|2009||Heading To The Ground OST||"It's Love (사랑인걸요)"||with Sunny|
|2010||Athena: Goddess of War OST||"I Love You (사랑해요)"||Solo|
|2012||The King 2 Hearts OST||"Missing You like Crazy (미치게 보고싶은)"|
|To the Beautiful You OST||"Closer" (가까이)"|
|2013||That Winter, the Wind Blows OST||"And One (그리고 하나)"|
|Mr. Go OST||"Bye"|
|2014||You're All Surrounded OST||"Love, that One Word (사랑 그 한마디)"|
|2016||Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo OST||"All with You"|
|2017||Final Life: Even if You Disappear Tomorrow OST||"Rescue Me"|
|2019||Hotel Del Luna OST||"A Poem Titled You (그대라는 시)"|
|2020||Do You Like Brahms? OST||"Kiss Me"|
|Frozen 2 (Korean OST)||"Into the Unknown"|
|2004||The One||"You Bring Me Joy "|
|"Like A Star"|
|2011||Kim Bum Soo||"Different"|
|2015||Amber||"Shake That Brass"|
|Yim Jae Bum||"Scars Deeper Than Love"|
|Verbal jint||"If the World Was a Perfect Place"|
|2009||We Got Married||MBC||Cast||with Jung Hyung Don|
|Strong Heart||SBS||Guest||Ep. 11-12|
|2011||Happy Together||Guest||Ep. 227|
|2011-2012||Running Man||SBS||Ep. 63-64, 112|
|2012-2013||Show! Music Core||MBC||MC with Tiffany & Seohyun|
|2014||Invincible Youth 2||KBS2||Guest||Ep. 22|
|Hidden Singer 3||JTBC||Ep. 5|
|2010||Despicable Me||Margo (Voice-Over)||Korean Version|
|2013||Despicable Me 2|
|2012||Salamander Guru and the Shadows||SBS|
|2008-2010||Good Friend Radio||MBC FM4U||Radio DJ|
|2010||Midnight Sun: The Musical||Kaoru|
- THE AGIT: Taeyeon's 'Very Special Day' (2015)
- TAEYEON, Butterfly Kiss (2016)
- Persona (2017)
- s ... Taeyeon Concert (2018)
- Taeyeon Japan Tour 2019 ~Signal~ (2019)
- Taeyeon Concert - The Unseen (2020)
- The Magic of Christmas Time
- Taeyeon - Japan Show Case Tour 2018 (2018)
- Inside - TAEYEON with S♡NE (2019)
- Persona (2017)
- Superstar SMOTWN
- A-Solution (with Tiffany) (2008-2010)
- Nature Republic (2013-2016)
- B-Ing Collagen (2013-2014)
- Jeju Samdasoo (with Kyuhyun) (2016)
- Sword and Magic (2016)
- Banila Co (2016-2018)
- Paris Baguette (2017)
- Gelato Factory (2018)
- Déesse Color Contact Lenses (2019)
|To view the Taeyeon gallery, click here.|
|Studio Albums||My Voice • Purpose • INVU|
|Repackage Albums||My Voice (Deluxe Edition) • (Purpose)|
|Special Albums||This Christmas – Winter is Coming|
|Mini Albums||I • Why • Something New • What Do I Call You|
|Digital Singles||Like A Star • Rain • 11:11 • Page 0 • Four Seasons • Happy • Weekend • Can't Control Myself|
Template:Girls' Generation Navigation Template:Oh!GG Navigation Template:TTS Navigation